Silver Diamine Fluoride is a proven highly effective, non-invasive, painless, cost effective medication used at stopping(arresting) cavities.
Silver Diamine Fluoride(SDF) is a liquid that is brushed on cavities to prevent further tooth decay. Dr Bunt uses it in certain cases as a non invasive atraumatic alternative to regular dental filings.
How does it work?
SDF has both silver ions and fluoride. The solver ions acts as a anti-microbial agent against cavities and fluoride is effective at preventing further demineralization of the tooth.
SDF can be used in the following dental applications:
- Around margins of existing fillings or crowns to prevent further decay.
- For high anxiety patients who have a fear of dental needles.
- Areas where access to the cavity is difficult.
- Patients who have a high risk of repeat or recurrent cavities.
- Heath Canada has approved SDF for children ages 3 years and older.
- Elderly with limited mobility and unable to make it to a dental office. Dr Bunt will treat these patients in nursing homes to get a patient out of pain and prevent further dental problems.
The application of SDF will permanently stain the tooth decay. Tooth coloured filling or crowns may also stain. The silver ions can cause a metallic taste that will go away over time.
While the ideal way to treat teeth with decay is by removing the decay and placing a restoration, this alternative treatment allows Dr Bunt to stop decay with noninvasive methods, particularly in young children and the elderly that may not tolerate traditional methods.
To learn more about Silver Diamine Fluoride or to schedule your appointment today at Whites Road Dental Care call 613-392-4757! We’d love to see you!